Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday Teachings - The Letter E

As we move our way through the alphabet we are stopping at the letter E this week. Some great E words are: Earth, Evening, Event, Empty, Elm, Employee, Eel and Elbow.

E

Be sure to download the letter E for your activities. I thought and thought about which E activities to do with my child and finally settled on these.



First up is an Elephant from the letter E. My son painted the elephant (I let him choose the paint colors) and then I glued on the trunk and the ear once the paint had dried as he had already gone to bed. He loves to paint more than anything else so he does not mind my finishing up the project.



Next up we glued google Eyes all over a letter E. He really enjoyed shaking the eyes around and seeing then spin.



For the next letter E, I wanted to do something with Eggs. My original thought was to color eggs. This activity would be twofold, coloring the eggs and talking about the letter E and then cracking the shells to glue onto the letter E but alas it was not meant to be in my house this week. Too much else going on so I cut out some paper Eggs from some scrapbook paper I had laying around. You do not have to use scrapbook paper, construction paper would work also but I am never going to scrapbook so I figured I should get some use out of the "fancy paper".



For the next craft, I really love hand print crafts to track my son's growth so I painted his hand gray and once it dried I glued an ear on the palm. I think he is adorable and I know I will keep that forever. Not only is it cute but it is always fun to hear the deep belly laughs of my son as I tickle his hand with the paintbrush when I am doing hand print crafts with him. That is why I prefer paint over a stamp pad, those laughs always brighten my day!

You can print out the letter E and put it in a clear sheet protector/report cover or laminate it and give the child a dry erase marker to practice writing the letter E.


You can write the letter E on a chalkboard and give the kid a small amount of water with a paint brush. They can dip the brush in the water and use it to erase/trace your letter.

Find the letter E. Give a child a marker and an old magazine or newspaper. Ask them to go through a few pages and circle the letter E.

Lacing Cards - Print out the letter E and laminate it. Punch a hole every inch or so and let the child lace yarn or a shoestring.

Paint Bag - Squirt some tempura paint of shaving cream in a zipper style bag. Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. For safety and cleanliness sake, tape the bag closed also. Now put the bag on the desk and allow the child to trace the E.

All crafts that are easy to save, please hold onto those and put them all in a Alphabet Binder for the child. To make the binders I will put the pictures in sheet protectors and then put them in a 3 ring binder.

Some foods that start with the letter E are: Eggplant, Enchilada, Elephant Ears, Elk, Endive and Edamame.



We made another fun snack from the letter E with our "Candied Eggs". We melted white/vanilla candy coating in the microwave in 15 second increments. Once it was all melted I transferred it to a zipper style bag and snipped a small corner with the scissors. I piped the melted white coating onto wax paper in egg shapes then my son laid yellow M & M candys in the white candy to make the egg yolks. We had lots of fun making them and think they look really cute.



Take some time and practice the alphabet with your kids.

The Attached Mama's Alphabet Craft Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment