Friday, June 18, 2010

Family Science Night

On the calendar that we provided for June (see the heading of June on the sidebar to the right) we said to declare this Family Science Night and to find some experiments to do at home with your kids. As a starting point, I thought I would list a few resources for you.


First and foremost I have to mention Steve Spangler Science, they have some great experiments listed on their website and they are all listed out by type of experiment. For example; Density, Chemistry, Food Science, etc. I enjoy this page but sometimes they try to push their products too much. Many people will have the items they need right in their own home.

Next up is Bizarre Stuff. I know the name may be intimidating but there are some good experiments on there so please check it out.



The next one I have for you is Daphne the Science Guinea Pig. This is a great place to ask questions. You just type in your questions and Daphne will send you the answers. It is fun for kids since they get answers and they get to look at a cute guinea pig.



The next idea is a little crazy but if you want to go the route of the "Mad Scientist" you could serve it up for dinner. My child is only three so it is not something I am ready to do just yet but the food is "Spaghetti Dogs". The premise is you cut the hot dogs into pieces about 3" long and then you stick raw spaghetti through the cut sides. You will use about 3 pieces of spaghetti per one piece of spaghetti. Once that is complete you will put them into a pot of boiling water. When the pasta is cooked you can remove them and serve up some "Home made Octopus" to the kids. I did not personally prepare this so I do not have a picture, but you can search for Spaghetti Dogs and find several images.

No comments:

Post a Comment